||@Surname : WANG
@Birth Date: May 14
@Birth Place: Hubei Province, P. R. China
Gokasho Uji, Kyoto, 611-0011
Research Centre on Landslides
Disaster Prevention Research Institute
Dr. Sc. (Earth and Planetary Science) Kyoto University, Japan (2000)
M. Sc. (Solid Mechanics) Lanzhou University, P. R. China (1991)
B. Eng. (Mechanics) Lanzhou University, P. R. China (1988)
Japan Landslide Society
Japanese Geotechnical Society
Society of Exploration Geophysicists of Japan
Japan Society of Erosion Control Engineering
Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (2001-2002)
Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Chinese Engineering Geology
Member of Editorial Board, Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium
Member of Editor board, Journal of Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science
Journal of the Japan Landslide Society
Journal of Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science
Earth Surface Processes and Landforms
Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences
Journal of Mountain Science
Landslides: Journal of International Consortium on Landslides
International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics
Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface
National Science Foundation (USA)
Research Grants Council, Hong Kong
2003.11-present Assistant Professor, DPRI, Kyoto University
2007.12.9-26 Visiting Assistant Professor, Dept. Civil Engineering, The
University of Hong Kong
2003.9-2003.10 Chief Scientist, Internaitonal Consortium on Landslides (DPRI, Kyoto University)
2001.9-2003.8 Guest Research Associate (JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship),
DPRI, kyoto University
2000.4-2001.9 COE Researcher, DPRI, Kyoto University
1999.4-2000.3 Research Assistant, DPRI, Kyoto University
1993.10-1996.9 Lecturer, Dept. Geology, Lanzhou University, P. R. China
1991.6-1993.9 Assistant Professor, Dept. Geology, Lanzhou University, P.
1989.9-1991.6 Teaching Assistant, Dept. Mechanics, Lanzhou University,
P. R. China
HOBBIES & TASTES
Folk song (my dream was to be a singer, but...)
Transplant rice seedlings (my father thought that I would be a good farmer, but...)
Chinese hot food (I could be a good cook, but...)
- Mechanism of rapid long runout landslides
- Liquefaction phenomena in landslides
- Field monitoring of landslides
- Modelling of landslides
- Slope erosion dynamics
- Landslide hazard mapping
- Creep behavior of clayey soil
- Mechanics of granular material
- Landslide dams
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS IN ENGLISH JOURNALS
- Gonghui Wang and Kyoji Sassa (2001) Factors affecting rainfall-induced flowslides in
laboratory flume tests. Geotechnique, Vol. 51, No. 7, pp. 587-599.
- Gonghui Wang and Kyoji Sassa (2002) Post-failure mobility of saturated sands in undrained
load-controlled ring shear tests. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 821-837
- Fawu Wang, Kyoji Sassa, and Gonghui Wang (2002) Mechanism of a long-runout landslide triggered by the August 1998 heavy rainfall in Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. Engineering geology, Vol. 63, No. 1-2, pp. 169-185
- Kyoji Sassa, Gonghui Wang, and Hiroshi Fukuoka (2003) Performing undrained shear tests on saturated
sands in a new intelligent type of ring shear apparatus. Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 257-265.
- Gonghui Wang and Kyoji Sassa (2003) Pore pressure generation and movement of rainfall-induced
landslides: effects of grain size and fine particle content. Engineering geology, Vol. 69, No. 1-2, pp. 109-125.
- Gonghui Wang, Kyoji Sassa, and Hiroshi Fukuoka (2003) Downslope volume enlargement
of a debris slide?debris flow in the 1999 Hiroshima, Japan, rainstorm.
Engineering geology, Vol. 69, No. 3-4, pp. 309-330.
- Kyoji Sassa, Hiroshi Fukuoka, Gonghui Wang, and Naohide Ishikawa (2004): gundrained dynamic-loading ring-shear apparatus and its application to landslide dynamicsh. Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides. 1(1): 9-17.
- Muhammad Wafic Agung, Kyoji Sassa, Hiroshi Fukuoka, and Gonghui Wang (2004): Evolution of Shear-Zone Structure in Undrained Ring-Shear Tests. Landslides 1(2):101-112.
- Hiroshi Fukuoka,Gonghui Wang, Kyoji Sassa, Fawu Wang, and Tatsunori Matsumoto (2004): Earthquake-induced rapid long-traveling flow phenomenon: May 2003 Tsukidate landslide in Japan. Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides. 1(2):151-155.
- Kyoji Sassa, Gonghui Wang, Hiroshi Fukuoka, Fawu Wang, Takahiro Occhai, Masanori Sugiyama, and Tatsuo
Sekiguchi (2004): Landslide risk evaluation and hazard zoning for rapid
and long-travel landslides in urban development areas. Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides. 1(3): 221-235.
- Sassa, K., Wang, G., Fukuoka, H., and Vankov, D.A. (2005): Shear-displacement-amplitude dependent pore pressure generation in undrained cyclic loading ring shear tests: an energy approach. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 131(6):750-761
- Gonghui Wang, Akira Suemine, Gen Furuya, Masahiro Kaibori, and Kyoji Sassa (2005): Rainstorm-induced landslides in Kisawa Village, Tokushima Prefecture, Japan. Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides,2(3): 232-242
- Wang, HB, Liu, G.J., Xu, W.Y., Wang, G.(2005): GIS-based landslide hazard assessment: an overview. Progress in Physical Geography, 29(4): 548-567
- Lourenco, S.D.N., Wang, G., K. Sassa, and H. Fukuoka (2006): Volumetric behavior of saturated sands under poor drainage conditions. Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 111, F03004, doi:10.1029/2005JF000324
- Fukuoka, H., Sassa, K., Wang, G, Sasaki, R. (2006): Observation of shear zone development in ring-shear apparatus with a transparent shear box. Landslides: Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides, 3(3): 239-251
- Fukuoka, H., Sassa, K., Wang, G.(2007): Influence of shear speed and normal stress on shear behavior and
shear zone structure of granular materials in naturally-drained ring shear
tests. Landslides:Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides, 4(1):63-74
- Wang, G., Sassa, K., Fukuoka, H., Tada, T. (2007): Experimental Study on the Shearing
Behavior of Saturated Silty Soils Based on Ring Shear Tests. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 133(3): 319-333
- Gratchev, I., Sassa, K., Osipov, V., Fukuoka, H., Wang, G. (2007): Undrained cyclic behavior of bentonite-sand mixtures and factors
affecting it. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 25(3): 349-367.
- Hang-zhou Li, Hong-jian Liao, Kyoji Sassa, and Gonghui Wang: (2007): Unified Three-dimensional Revision of Modified Cam Clay Model. Key Engineering Materials, 340-341: 1267-1272
- Dexuan Zhang, and Gonghui Wang (2007): Study of the 1920 Haiyuan earthquake-induced landslides in loess (China). Engineering Geology 94: 76-88
- Huabin Wang, Gonghui Wang, Fawu Wang, Kyoji Sassa and Yuping Chen (2008): Probabilistic modeling of seismically triggered landslides using Monte Carlo simulations. Landslides 5(4): 387-395.
- Fawu Wang, Yeming Zhang, Zhitao Huo, Xuanming Peng, Kiminori Araiba, Gonghui Wang (2008): Movement of the Shuping landslide in the first four years after the initial impundment of the Three Gorges Dam Reservior, China. Landslides 5(3): 321-329.
- Gonghui Wang, Kyoji Sassa (2009): Seismic loading impacts on excess pore water pressure
maintain landslide triggered flowslides. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 34(2):232-241.
- Dexuan Zhang, Gonghui Wang, Chunyong Luo, Jun Chen, Yunxi Zhou (2009): A rapid loess flowslide triggered
by irrigation in China. Landslides 6(1): 55-60.
- William H. Schulz, Jason W. Kean, Gonghui Wang (2009): Landslide movement in southwest Colorado triggered by atmospheric
tides. Nature Geoscience2:863-866
- Gonghui Wang, Akira Suemine, William H. Schulz (2010): Shear-rate-dependent control on the dynamics of rainfall-triggered
landslides, Tokushima Prefecture, Japan. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 35(4):407-416
- Masahiro Chigira, Xiyong Wu, Takashi Inokuchi, Gonghui Wang (2010): Landslides induced by the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake, Sichuan, China. Geomorphology 118(3-4): 225-238.
- J. Liu, B. Shi, H.T. Jiang, H. Huang, G. Wang, T. Kamai (2011): Research on the stabilization treatment of clay slope topsoil by organic polymer soil stabilizer. Engineering Geology, 117:114-120.
- Sergio D.N. Lourenco, Gonghui Wang, Jian Chu (2011): Aspects of sand behaviour by modified constant shear drained tests. Environmental Earth Science, 62:865-870.
- Liu, J., Wang, G., Kamai, T., Zhang, F.Y., Shi, B. (2011): Liquefaction Behaviour of Saturated Fiber-Reinforced Sand in Undrained Ring-shear Tests. Geotextiles & Geomembranes, 29: 98-107
- Gorum, T., Fan, X.M., van Westen C.J., Huang, R.Q., Xu, Q., Tang, C., Wang, G. (2011): Distribution Pattern of Earthquake-induced Landslides Triggered by the 12 May 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake. Geomorphology (in press)
BOOKS & CHAPTERS
- Sassa, K. and G. Wang (2005): Mechanism of landslide-triggered debris flows: liquefaction phenomena due to the undrained loading of torrent deposits. Chapter 5: In Debris flow hazards and related phenomena (Jakob, M., and Hungr, O. (eds)), Springer-Praxis, Heidelberg, 81-104
- Sassa, K., Fukuoka, H., Wang, F., Wang, G. (eds.)(2005): Landslides - Risk Analysis and Sustaibale Disaster Management. Springer Verlag, 385 pages
- Sassa, K., Fukuoka, H., Wang, F.W., Wang, G. (eds.)(2007): Progress in Landslide Science. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 375 pages
- Yamada, M., Cai. F., Wang, G. (2010): Great Sichuan Earthquake and Mountain Disaster. Rikoh Tosho, 198pages (in Japanese)